Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Strongest Signal

So a few weeks ago, after much anticipation, research and fretting, I purchased a new cell phone.

I wanted to make sure that I made the right choice, so I spent months checking out all of my options.

I finally decided upon one that was small and flat so it would fit easily in my hand; one that had all the bells and whistles, also known as "cool applications";  one that had everything a phone user could possibly need.

Then I selected a pretty case in my favorite color, bright blue, so that it would be appealing to the eye.

I was sure my new phone would  meet all of my needs, wants and desires, and maybe even some needs I didnt even know I had.  And honestly, I do love my new friend, I mean phone, and I have had lots of fun getting to know her, oh, I mean getting to know "it". 

But despite all her friendliness, fanciness in appearance and technological capabilities, my phone is still dependent on the signal that allows it to work.

When we first moved into our house fourteen years ago, people would say we lived in the "boonies", which means far from civilization, and way too far from a grocery store.  It seems the city keeps getting closer and closer due to building and  community growth, but most people still think we live in the country (aka, boonies)  which I love. The only downfall is that phone service is certainly lacking.

I have been known to hang over the deck rail on the back of my house, in order to get a better signal. My husband can be seen pacing around the yard on any given day, trying to get a better signal. And we can both be found having arguments with our phones, as if they could hear us, when calls are dropped or messages are broken.

However, I have discovered that in one particular room in my house, and in one particular corner of the kitchen, I can great service........ as long as I stay confined to a small semi-circle area where the invisible phone barrier lives. 

I thought having a fancy-dancy, pretty, trendy phone would solve my signal issues - but the issues remain. The phone only works like it should, when I am in the boundaries of the signal.

Thank goodness, our faith is not like that, because of the amazing gift of prayer. God always has a strong signal, and is waiting to communicate clearly with our hearts.

We often take for granted that we can "call" God anytime. He is not concerned with where we are, because His signal is always strong. We could be in the shower, in a car, shopping at the mall, on a beach on the other side of the ocean, or standing in a kitchen in a house out in the middle of the country - God still hears.

Today as I pressed into the kitchen corner where my invisible phone barrier lives,  I felt reminded in my spirit that God's signal is always strong.  So, I just had to pause for a moment, and call Him right up, to simply say thank you, for always being available.

For always answering. For never dropping my calls.

For always having a strong signal, that nothing and no one can hinder.

The truth is, that we often treat our cell phones like our most prized possession, or treasured friend, rather than the unloyal, unpredictable piece of equipment that it really is, no matter how many bells and whistles it offers.

I had to ask myself, "Do I treat my cell phone better than God? Sadly enough, sometimes, the answer is yes, yes I do.

How blessed we are to know that God understands, and loves us anyway, even when we are not calling or listening to Him. What a blessing to always know that His signal is strong - and ready whenever we need it.

I recalled reading something in the past, about how strong our faith would be if we treated our Bibles like our cell phones - with the same interest, enamor, love, obsession, and attachment - so I looked it up.

Below is that excerpt from an unknown author, which you may have seen before, but I thought it was worth sharing again today. Good thoughts to ponder.
*********************************************************************************

Ever wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phones?

1-What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
2-What if we flipped through it several times a day?
3-What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?
4-What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
5-What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
6-What if we gave it to kids as gifts?
7-What if we used it when we traveled?
8-What if we used it in case of emergency?
9-What if we worried about its whereabouts all the time?
********************************************************************************

Gotta go now, I'm off to make a call. To the One who has the strongest signal 24/7/365 without fail.

And a special benefit, is that I will not have to awkwardly stand in the invisible signal boundary in my kitchen, because He is available everywhere.

The Strongest SignalSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

3 comments:

Debbie Morgan said...

Tracie,
Love this post. Especially in light of your experience with the cell phone at She Speaks. Funny! Just finished reading your book. Will have to message you later about how it confirmed something God said to me that weekend. Debbie Morgan

Tracie Miles said...

I know, right?! Guess I have phone on the brain now! haha. Would love to hear about your She Speaks story!

Pam said...

Loved this post today : )

Sweet Blessings to you,
Pam